A Hospital Visit, Online Shopping, and a Family Meal


A Hospital Visit, Online Shopping, and a Family Meal

A Busy Day at the Hospital

Today, we went to the hospital for a blood test to check my TSH level. TSH is a hormone that is commonly checked through a blood test.

The blood extraction was more difficult than I expected. The medical technician had to puncture me four times before she was able to collect enough blood for the test. She was very kind to me and apologized for the delay. Although the procedure took longer than expected, I appreciated her patience and kindness.

After the blood test, we went to the fourth floor and waited for my doctor near the doctor's clinic. While we were waiting, I decided to do some searching for items online using Lazada. I looked for smartphone cases and stand, lucky charms, and an insect killer with lights.

Here are some of the items I found:

ItemPrice
Xiaomi Poco X5 Pro case₱150.94
Mosquito killer₱231.92
Abacus keychain₱66
Amulet₱295


Online shop exploring helped me pass the time while waiting for the doctor.

Meeting the Doctor

The doctor eventually arrived and talked to me about my health. I was recommended to continue taking progesterone for six months. I was also advised to lose weight, from 72 kilograms to 60 kilograms.

After our hospital visit, we planned to go to a nearby mall. However, we decided to cancel the plan because my mother had difficulty climbing stairs. We wanted to make sure that she would be comfortable and safe.

On our way home, we stopped to buy some affordable fruits. We bought ponkan and apples. One ponkan cost ₱25. We also bought freshly cooked sweet corn, which made a delicious snack.





A Family Meal at Our Favorite Restaurant

After buying our fruits and corn, we went to our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant. This time, we tried pork sisig, which was good for sharing. We also ordered steamed rice and a hazelnut donut.

For takeout, we bought ginger-garlic chicken. In total, we paid less than ₱1,000 for three dine-in meals and two takeout meals. It was a satisfying meal at an affordable price.

Finally, we were able to go home.






Tracking My Meals and Exercise

When I got home, I used the MyFitnessPal app to monitor my meals and exercise routine. I think it would be helpful to check my daily calorie intake and the calories I burn through exercise.

Keeping track of food and exercise can help a person become more aware of their daily habits. It can also encourage them to make healthier choices.

Overall, it was a busy day. We went to the hospital, waited for the doctor, did some online shopping, bought fruits and snacks, enjoyed a family meal, and finally went home. Even though some parts of the day were tiring, I was happy that we were able to spend time together as a family.


Vocabulary

1. Blood test

A medical test that uses a sample of blood to check a person's health.

Example: I need to have a blood test tomorrow.

2. Puncture

To make a small hole in something, usually with a sharp object.

Example: The technician punctured my arm to collect blood.

3. Blood extraction

The process of taking blood from a person's body for testing.

Example: The blood extraction took longer than expected.

4. Medical technician

A healthcare worker who performs certain medical tests and procedures.

Example: The medical technician was very friendly and careful.

5. Apologize

To say that you are sorry about something.

Example: The technician apologized for the delay.

6. Delay

A situation in which something happens later than expected.

Example: There was a delay in the blood test.

7. Clinic

A place where people receive medical care.

Example: We waited outside the doctor's clinic.

8. Recommended

Suggested as a good or appropriate choice.

Example: The doctor recommended continuing the medication.

9. Nearby

Close to a particular place.

Example: There is a nearby mall.

10. Elderly

Describing an older person, especially someone who may need additional care.

Example: We helped our elderly mother.

11. Affordable

Not too expensive; reasonably priced.

Example: We found an affordable restaurant.

12. Takeout

Food that is prepared at a restaurant and taken somewhere else to eat.

Example: We ordered chicken for takeout.

13. Monitor

To regularly check or observe something.

Example: I use an app to monitor my meals.

14. Calorie intake

The amount of calories a person consumes through food and drinks.

Example: I want to monitor my daily calorie intake.

15. Burn calories

To use energy through physical activity or exercise.

Example: Walking can help you burn calories.

16. Lucky charm

An object that someone believes brings good luck.

Example: He carries a lucky charm in his wallet.

17. Amulet

An object believed by some people to provide protection or bring good luck.

Example: She bought an amulet as a souvenir.

18. Keychain

A small object used to hold keys together.

Example: I bought an abacus keychain for my bag.


Useful Expressions

Talking about a hospital visit

  • I went to the hospital for a blood test.

  • The technician had difficulty collecting enough blood.

  • I had to be punctured several times.

  • We waited for the doctor.

  • The doctor recommended that I continue my medication.

Talking about shopping

  • I searched for products online.

  • I found a good deal.

  • It was affordable.

  • I compared different prices.

  • I bought it online.

Talking about food

  • We went to our favorite restaurant.

  • We ordered food to share.

  • We bought some food for takeout.

  • The meal was affordable.

  • We paid less than ₱1,000.

Talking about health and fitness

  • I am trying to lose weight.

  • I am monitoring my meals.

  • I track my exercise routine.

  • I check my calorie intake.

  • I want to exercise regularly.


Reading Comprehension Questions

A. Multiple Choice

1. Why did the writer go to the hospital?
A. To visit a friend
B. To have a blood test
C. To buy medicine
D. To meet a family member

2. How many times was the writer punctured before enough blood was collected?
A. Two
B. Three
C. Four
D. Five

3. Where did the writer wait for the doctor?
A. On the first floor
B. On the second floor
C. On the third floor
D. On the fourth floor

4. What did the writer search for while waiting?
A. Clothes and shoes
B. Food and drinks
C. Smartphone accessories, lucky charms, and an insect killer
D. Books and toys

5. How much did one ponkan cost?
A. ₱15
B. ₱20
C. ₱25
D. ₱30

6. Why did they cancel their plan to go to the mall?
A. The mall was closed.
B. They had no transportation.
C. The writer's elderly mother had difficulty climbing stairs.
D. They ran out of money.

7. What restaurant did they visit?
A. A Japanese restaurant
B. A Tex-Mex restaurant
C. A Korean restaurant
D. An Italian restaurant

8. What food did they order for takeout?
A. Pork sisig
B. Sweet corn
C. Ginger-garlic chicken
D. Hazelnut donut

9. How much did they pay for the three dine-in and two takeout meals?
A. More than ₱2,000
B. Exactly ₱1,500
C. Less than ₱1,000
D. Less than ₱500

10. What app did the writer use at home?
A. Lazada
B. Google Maps
C. MyFitnessPal
D. Facebook

Answer Key

  1. B

  2. C

  3. D

  4. C

  5. C

  6. C

  7. B

  8. C

  9. C

  10. C


B. True or False

  1. The writer went to the hospital for a blood test.

  2. The medical technician was rude to the writer.

  3. The writer searched for products on Lazada while waiting.

  4. The writer bought a smartphone case for ₱150.94.

  5. The doctor recommended continuing progesterone for six months.

  6. The writer planned to lose weight from 72 kg to 60 kg.

  7. They went to the mall as originally planned.

  8. One ponkan cost ₱25.

  9. They ordered pork sisig at their favorite restaurant.

  10. The writer decided to monitor meals and exercise using an app.

Answer Key

  1. True

  2. False

  3. True

  4. True

  5. True

  6. True

  7. False

  8. True

  9. True

  10. True


C. Short-Answer Questions

  1. Why did the blood extraction take longer than expected?

  2. How did the medical technician treat the writer?

  3. What products did the writer search for on Lazada?

  4. What did the doctor recommend?

  5. Why did the family cancel their mall visit?

  6. What fruits did they buy?

  7. What other snack did they buy?

  8. What dishes did they order at the restaurant?

  9. How much did they spend on their meals?

  10. Why does the writer want to monitor calories and exercise?


Conversation Questions

Health

  1. When was the last time you had a blood test?

  2. Are you comfortable having blood taken? Why or why not?

  3. What do you usually do while waiting at a hospital?

  4. What can medical workers do to make patients feel comfortable?

  5. Do you think regular health checkups are important? Why?

Shopping

  1. Do you often shop online?

  2. What products do you usually buy online?

  3. Which is better: shopping online or shopping at a physical store?

  4. Do you compare prices before buying something?

  5. What is the most useful thing you have bought online?

Food

  1. What is your favorite affordable meal?

  2. What Filipino food is good for sharing?

  3. Do you prefer eating at a restaurant or eating at home?

  4. What food do you usually order for takeout?

  5. Have you ever tried Tex-Mex food? What did you think of it?

Health and Fitness

  1. Do you monitor what you eat?

  2. Do you count calories? Why or why not?

  3. What kind of exercise do you enjoy?

  4. How can people develop healthier eating habits?

  5. What is one healthy habit you would like to develop?


Speaking Activity: Tell Your Own Story

Use these questions to tell your partner about a recent busy day:

Where did you go? → Why did you go there? → Who went with you? → What happened? → What did you buy? → What did you eat? → How much did you spend? → How did you feel at the end of the day?

Try to use these vocabulary words:

blood test • delay • clinic • nearby • affordable • takeout • monitor • calorie • exercise • recommended

Sample opening:

"Last weekend, I had a busy day with my family. First, we went to ____. We went there because ____. While we were waiting, I ____. After that, we ____."


Writing Activity

Write 150–200 words about a recent day when you had several activities.

Include:

  • Where you went

  • Who went with you

  • What you did

  • Something unexpected that happened

  • What you bought

  • What you ate

  • How much you spent

  • How you felt at the end of the day

Challenge: Use at least 10 vocabulary words from this lesson.

Post a Comment

0 Comments