Yesterday’s Activities: A Busy Afternoon

 Here is a simple ESL blog post based on the activities, with vocabulary, comprehension questions, and conversation practice.

Yesterday’s Activities: A Busy Afternoon

Yesterday, I had an early lunch and ate a banana before going out. I left the house at around 12 noon because I needed to have my UPLB sticker replaced.

When I arrived, I had to wait until 1:00 p.m. After that, I went to the Physical Science Building. While I was there, I took a picture of a bulletin board because I saw a job hiring announcement that I wanted to keep for reference.

I also waited for someone I was supposed to meet. Unfortunately, the person did not arrive. After waiting for some time, I decided to leave. I went home and ended my afternoon.

Although I did not accomplish everything I planned to do, I was able to take a picture of the hiring announcement and finish the task related to my UPLB sticker.

Vocabulary

  1. early lunch – lunch eaten earlier than the usual lunchtime
    I ate an early lunch before going out.

  2. leave the house – to go out of your home
    I left the house at 12 noon.

  3. replacement – something that takes the place of something old or damaged
    I went to UPLB for a sticker replacement.

  4. sticker – a small piece of paper or plastic with information or a design that can be attached to something
    I needed to replace my UPLB sticker.

  5. wait – to stay in a place until someone or something arrives or happens
    I waited until 1 p.m.

  6. bulletin board – a board where notices, announcements, and information are posted
    I saw a hiring announcement on the bulletin board.

  7. hiring – looking for people to work for a company or organization
    There was a hiring announcement on the bulletin board.

  8. announcement – information given to people about something
    I took a picture of the announcement.

  9. arrive – to reach a place
    The person I was waiting for did not arrive.

  10. leave – to go away from a place
    I decided to leave and go home.

Comprehension Questions

A. Answer the questions.

  1. What did the writer eat before going out?

  2. What time did the writer leave the house?

  3. Why did the writer go to UPLB?

  4. How long did the writer wait before going to the Physical Science Building?

  5. What building did the writer visit?

  6. What did the writer take a picture of?

  7. Why did the writer take the picture?

  8. Who was the writer waiting for?

  9. Did the person arrive?

  10. What did the writer do after waiting?

B. True or False

  1. The writer ate lunch late in the afternoon.

  2. The writer ate a banana before going out.

  3. The writer left the house at 12 noon.

  4. The writer went to UPLB to replace a sticker.

  5. The writer went directly home without waiting.

  6. The writer visited the Physical Science Building.

  7. The writer saw a hiring announcement.

  8. The person the writer was waiting for arrived.

  9. The writer took a picture of the bulletin board post.

  10. The writer eventually went home.

C. Put the Events in Order

Number the events from 1–6.

___ The writer went home.
___ The writer ate an early lunch and a banana.
___ The writer took a picture of a hiring announcement.
___ The writer left the house at 12 noon.
___ The writer waited for someone who did not arrive.
___ The writer went to the Physical Science Building.

Conversation Questions

Discuss these questions with your teacher or classmates.

Personal Experience

  1. What did you do yesterday?

  2. What time did you wake up yesterday?

  3. Did you eat breakfast or lunch early?

  4. What did you eat yesterday?

  5. Did you go out of your house yesterday?

  6. Where did you go?

  7. Why did you go there?

  8. Did you have to wait for someone?

  9. How long did you wait?

  10. What do you usually do while waiting?

Going Out

  1. What places do you usually visit during the week?

  2. Do you prefer going out in the morning or afternoon? Why?

  3. Have you ever gone somewhere and waited for a long time?

  4. What do you do when someone does not arrive on time?

  5. Have you ever had to return home because a plan did not work out?

Work and School

  1. Have you ever seen a hiring announcement?

  2. Would you like to apply for a new job? Why or why not?

  3. Where can people usually find job announcements in your area?

  4. Have you ever taken a picture of an important announcement?

  5. What kind of job would you like to have in the future?

Speaking Practice: Tell Your Story

Use these sentence patterns to talk about your yesterday:

  • Yesterday, I woke up at...

  • I ate... for breakfast/lunch.

  • I left my house at...

  • I went to... because...

  • When I arrived, I...

  • I waited for...

  • Unfortunately, ... did not arrive.

  • After that, I...

  • Finally, I went home.

Example

Yesterday, I ate an early lunch and a banana. I left my house at 12 noon because I needed to replace my UPLB sticker. I waited until 1 p.m. Then, I went to the Physical Science Building. I took a picture of a hiring announcement on the bulletin board. I also waited for someone, but the person did not arrive. Finally, I left and went home.

Post a Comment

0 Comments